School Policies & Procedures
Please take time to read the Skinner West School Policies. If there are any questions, please contact the main office with questions. Thank you for your cooperation.
Attendance and Promotion
Please familiarize yourself with CPS elementary & high school promotion policy
A student who attends school for at least 5 hours is marked for a full day of attendance while a student who attends for 2.5 hours is marked for a half-day.
- If your child is absent, please provide your teacher a note with a parent's or doctor's signature in order to receive an excused absence. This is mandatory to receive an excused absence
- A phone call to our main office is strictly optional
- You may receive a recorded phone call from CPS indicating that your student is absent.
- According to the CPS promotion policy, 3rd, 6th, and 8th grade students will NOT be promoted to the next grade level if they have more than 9 unexcused absences.
- If you know in advance your child will be absent, please work with your teacher to make up missed time.
Students may not be dropped off before 8:00 a.m. Based on CPS policies, teachers may not supervise students before 8:45 a.m.
Skinner’s Parking, Drop-off & Pick-up Policy
Students and parents may not enter classrooms or roam the hallways until 8:45am, when classes officially starts. Student should report directly to the cafeteria or the gymnasium.
For Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd Grades
Before entering the north entrance of the cafeteria, you may drop off your bookbags, coats, and other non-fragile items into the large rolling bins. Each bin is labeled with the teacher's name. The carts will be rolled to their respective classrooms at the start of class.
For 3rd and 4th Graders
Third and fourth graders may drop off their backpacks along the north wall of the cafeteria (just next to the kindergarten tables). Students will have to retrieve their belongings themselves before they go to their classroom
If students want a free breakfast in the morning, they should go directly into the cafeteria. If your child needs breakfast in the morning, please have them arrive at 8:30am to insure they have enough time to finish their breakfast. Breakfast starts promptly at 8:30am, and students will be dismissed to their rooms at 8:45am. If 5th - 8th graders are not eating breakfast, they should report directly to the gym.
Please park strollers at security to reduce hallway congestion.
- Kindergartners must be picked up from inside the gym.
- First graders will be picked up from the lunchroom.
- 2nd - 8th grades will be dismissed in front of the building on the Adams Street side.
Students waiting to be picked up by a parent will be dismissed outside on the Adams Street side of the building supervised by Skinner Staff until 3:55 p.m.(ten minutes). After 3:55 p.m., late pick ups will be brought inside the vestibule and parents will be charged a $10.00 late fee. Parents MUST make arrangements to have their child picked up on time everyday. We do not have staff to supervise late pick - ups. We have three after school programs (STAR, Skinner Park & Union Park), if after-school care is needed.
- Teacher Availability
Teachers do not have time before school to meet with parents. Parents must make an appointment to see the teacher. Appointments can be made via the teacher's page on the Skinner website, calling the office or by sending a note to the teacher.
- Avoid a Ticket
Please do not block any driveways in the community area , double park or block a crosswalk while dropping off or picking up your child. DO NOT PARK ON THE MONROE STREET SIDE DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL IN THE MORNINGS OR EVENINGS.
Our parking lot is very small and is for staff only in the mornings. Please do not park in the staff lot or block other cars. Parents may park in the lot for pick-up after school if a space is available.
Thank you for your cooperation in adhering to these procedures. We are looking forward to another safe and orderly school year.
Parents of qualified students should receive a yellow postcard with busing information from the Chicago Public Schools Bureau of Transportation, indicating the pickup location for your child. Parents should call the bus company to obtain the bus route information and pickup time.
Please visit CPS student transportation for more information
Safety and Security
- All parents entering the building, office and/or a classroom must stop at the security desk to sign-in and obtain a visitor badge.
Safety and Security
- After 9:00 a.m., anyone entering the building must be buzzed in and must sign in at the security desk for a visitor's pass. Parents wanting to visit a classroom must have prior approval or an appointment with the teacher. Parents who wish to volunteer in the classrooms are welcome and should should make arrangements with the teacher so that security will be aware of your visit.
Late Arrival/Early Dismissal
Any student entering the building after 9:00 a.m. must stop by the front office for a tardy slip.
Any child requiring an early dismissal must stop by the front office. Parents must come to the main office to pick up their child.
Cell Phone Policy for Grades 1-8 (*Effective 06/01/2017)
The policy was updated to further Skinner School's goal of keeping all Superstars safe under the CPS Student Code of Conduct and to minimize disruptions and distractions within the classroom and during lunch and recess.
- Cell phones must be turned off and placed in a pocket, backpack, or purse upon entry into Skinner West School.
- Upon arrival to homeroom classes, phones must be turned in to the homeroom teacher.
- Teachers will collect cell phones and place in labeled Ziploc bags with the students’ names on them.
- Cell phones will be locked up throughout the course of the school day.
- At the end of the school day (3:45), cell phones will be returned to the students by the homeroom teacher.
- If a student is tardy, the student must report to the homeroom teacher to deliver their tardy slip and cell phone.
- If a teacher is absent, a team member or administrator will assist with the collection of cell phones. If this does not occur, students are to keep their cell phones turned off and kept in a pocket, purse, or backpack until leaving the school for the day.
- Early Dismissal - If a student has an early dismissal, the student can go back to the homeroom teacher to pick up his/her cell phone.
Violation of The CPS Student Code of Conduct: Acts 1-8 and 3-11
First Offense: Cell phone is confiscated by teacher and sent to the office. Parent must pick up cell phone from the office. Student will serve a lunch detention and reflection.
Second Offense: Cell phone is confiscated by the teacher and sent to the office. Parent must pick up the cell phone. Student will receive a CPS Misconduct Report, and serve a one day In- school suspension.
Third Offense: Cellphone is confiscated by the teacher and sent to the office. Parent must pick up the cell phone. Student will receive a CPS Misconduct Report and up to two days out of school suspension
Bully Free Policy
Bullying WILL NOT BE TOLERATED at Skinner West. If your child feels like they are being bullied or sees another student being bullied, they are encouraged to report it immediately to their teacher. In addition, students can anonymously report bullying by dropping a note in the "BULLY BOX" located in the front office.
All students must comply with the Chicago Public Schools Acceptable Computer Use Policy.
Physical Education Uniforms
Students in grades K-5 must wear their PE uniform to school on their designated PE day(s). Upper grade students (grades 6-8) are allowed to change into their PE uniforms in the first 5 minutes of their PE class time, but have to change back into their clothes on their own time.
The Skinner PE department will be using Lands End as our preferred vendor for uniforms. All questions related to school uniforms, including sizing, payment, delivery, navigating the Lands End website, etc. must be directed to Lands End.
We respect your right to use a different vendor to purchase uniforms, however, We strongly encourage you to purchase Skinner apparel through Land’s End .
f you choose to send your child to school in clothes from home please make sure to abide by the following:
Any school appropriate t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, hooded sweatshirt, or athletic shirt
Dress shirts or any button down shirt, dresses, denim shirts, vests, shirts with any type of tie
Athletic shorts/pants, jogging/running pants, sweatpants, yoga pants/leggings (within UG dress code)
Dress slacks, skirts without some form of leggings, jeans of any kind, cargo pants, corduroy pants, jeggings
Gym shoes, sneakers, athletic sandals
Flip-flops, any open-toed shoe, boots, crocs, any shoe with a heel
Keep in mind the CPS dress code as it applies to PE is a plain all white top, plain navy blue bottoms, and appropriate footwear (i.e. gym shoes). If a uniform is not purchased from the Lands End website it needs to be free of any writing, logos, or lettering. If you elect to use Lands End, everything on their website is acceptable to purchase! If you have any concerns about sizes, please contact Lands End before purchasing.
Please visit Lands End or visit the Skinner Newsletter for the direct link to begin ordering your uniforms. Our Preferred School Number is: 900160219
Lands End (800) 963-4816 (they also provide live online help too).
Also, please be aware that accidents do happen and there's an increased likelihood that they will happen during physical education so please take necessary precautions when it comes to bringing or wearing expensive items such as glasses. If your child wears glasses you may consider having them wear an inexpensive/spare pair for P.E
Please refer to the school’s library policies about behavior, borrowing privileges, and lost books
All store-bought treats for birthdays, holidays, or special occasions may be shared during your child’s lunch period only.
You can find more information here about CPS’ healthy food policies.