MARK T. SKINNER WEST SCHOOL NEWSLETTER
2019-2020 School Year
Welcome Newsletter #2
Dates to Remember
Elementary & KDG Registration: Tuesday & Thursday 10a-6p
Orientation for New Students Grades 1-5: 8/29 @ 1:00-2:00pm
Orientation for New Students Grades 6-8: 8/29@ 2:00-3:00pm
New Teacher Meet & Greet Grades 1-8: 8/29 @ 3:00- 3:45pm
Kindergarten Orientation: 8/29 4:00-5:30pm
School Supply Drop Off Day: 8/30 @ 9:30-4:00pm Lunchroom
Skinner STAR Aftercare Registration Due 8/30
Dance Tryouts (Grades 4 & 5): 9/5 @ 4:15-6:00pm
Dance Tryouts (Grades 6-8): 9/6 @ 4:15-6:00pm
Friends of Skinner West Volunteer Mtg: 9/11 @ 9:00am
First Day of School 2019: Tuesday, 9/3 @ 8:45am
CPS 2019- 2020 Calendar: here
Skinner West Hours of Operation
- Instructional hours are from 8:45am-3:45pm M-F
- Early drop-off is available in the main building lunchroom at 8:00am
- Free breakfast is available to all students
- Fee-based aftercare is available through Skinner STAR program (below) or Chicago Park District
- School office hours are 8:15am-4:30pm
|School Supply Drop-off Day
Available at both the branch (KDG neighborhood) and main building cafeteria, you may drop off your school supplies on August 30th from 9:30-4:00pm!
ALL PARENTS, please deliver ancillary supplies to the Library in the main building, even if your child's classroom is at the branch
- Supplies should be placed in separate bags labeled, "shared classroom supplies from (child's name)", or "individual supplies for (child's name)", along with your teacher's name.
- You can purchase supplies via FOSW's fundraising site - Yubbler - for which Skinner will receive 50% of the profits, or go to our website to print off your grade-level lists.
- Please consider making supply donations - folders, notebook paper, backpacks, zipper binders, pens, pencils, Expo markets and calculators are always appreciated. A donation box will be in the school lobby on August 30th.
Understand teachers are busy getting classrooms ready for the first day of school. They will not be able to meet with you when you drop off your supplies. Thank you for your understanding!
Branch Arrival & Drop-off Procedures (225 S. Aberdeen)
Please find drop off and pick up procedures for neighborhood kindergarten families below. Main building procedures will be communicated in an upcoming newsletter.
Arrival Procedures: @8:40am: Drop-off begins
- Students may eat breakfast at the branch. Students must wait in the cafeteria for their teachers and are not allowed in the classroom unless the teacher is present.
Dismissal Procedures: Pick up at Branch OR Main Bldg
- You may pick up your child from the branch by 3:35pm
- @ 3:35pm: Students board the shuttle bus to the main building on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.
- If a parent has not arrived by 3:35pm at the Branch, they MUST pick up at the main bldg
- @3:45pm: Parent pick up in the cafeteria of the main bldg
- Students who are in the STAR Aftercare or Skinner Park aftercare program will report to designated areas
In cases of early dismissals before 3:35pm, the child must be picked up at the branch
* Main building procedures will be communicated in an upcoming newsletter
|New to CPS and/or Skinner West Elementary? Our communications committee has assembled a list of detailed information to help you. Please click here to download a checklist for the first day of school.
As in years past, qualified students who indicated the need for school busing should receive a YELLOW postcard in the mail the week before school starts. The postcard will contain pertinent information for your child(ren). Please contact CPS' office of transportation for more information on student busing.
Calling All Dancers!
The Skinner Dance Team is open to students in grades 4-8
Auditions will take place from 4:15-6:00pm on the following dates:
- Thursday, 9/5 for grades 4 & 5
- Friday, 9/6 for grades 6 - 8
All dancers must wear the following:
Leggings, jazz or ballet shoes (socks are acceptable), gym shoes and a t-shirt.
All dancers must be on time and prepared to stay for the entire duration of the audition.
Sign-up sheets will be posted on Tuesday, 9/3 & Wednesday, 9/4.
| |Skinner's PTO needs you!
On the first day of school, enjoy morning refreshments while dropping off your kiddos, complements of Skinner West Parent-Teacher Organization
. PTO supports our school in many ways including community-building events and fundraising activities for our school.
You should be extremely proud of your Skinner Superstars, one of the top schools in the entire state of Illinois, a 2013 National Blue Ribbon School and ranked as the # 1 school in the city of Chicago by the Chicago Magazine in 2016. We wish to thank you for your diligence and guidance in preparing your child to excel among hundreds of applicants.
As August quickly slips away, we know that your thoughts will soon turn to preparing for the new school year at Skinner. We are prepared and excited to take your child to the next level of academic accomplishments and social / emotional growth and well-being. It is our vision to be the premier school in the city of Chicago for educating Classical, neighborhood/magnet and special needs students and to serve as a model for all such schools. Our teachers are knowledgeable, dedicated, caring and committed to creating a learning environment which fosters creativity, intellectual curiosity, high expectations, rigor, sensitivity, cooperation and support. Our continued success would not be possible without strong parental involvement. We appreciate the many ways that our parents support their child's education through monitoring classroom activities, assignments and projects, keeping abreast of grades via the CPS ASPEN system, involvement on committees, volunteering for school activities, attendance at school events and providing generous support for all of our fundraising activities. We want to encourage you to play an active role in whichever school activities your schedule will allow. Your participation and support will add to the enthusiastic and caring spirit which makes Skinner such a unique and special school.
The 2019-2020 school year will include the expanded use of our new addition, the continuation of more physical education minutes, greater access to technology based programs and implementation of the new Common Core Standards in language arts and math. In addition, we will continue to offer our strong academic programs and our array of after school activities, including STAR and Skinner Park programs.
Visit our Skinner website at www.Skinnerwest.cps.edu under parent resources for more information on how to purchase supplies via Resources. If you choose to purchase from Yubbler, Friends of Skinner West will receive 50% of the profits (which go directly back to the school).
As always, if you have any questions for me, please contact me using the Skinner West parent-only email address:
If you have any new parent questions, we have parent volunteers on hand to help by emailing email@example.com (please label the subject with "new parent question").
Try to enjoy the rest of summer with your Superstar. Stay on the lookout for more pertinent updates before the first day of school. We look forward to each Superstar returning on Tuesday, September 3rd! We are ready for another fantastic school year with our wonderful Superstar families and staff!
Deborah M. Clark
School Supplies and Fees 2019-20
- Please consider ordering your school supplies through Yubbler as 50% of the profits go back to our school. You may also find the list of supplies here.
- Please remember: purchase your grade level supplies AND the Ancillary list supplies, Art, and Science supplies.
- School fees remain the same this year. You may pay online via this link or via check made out to Skinner West and dropped in the office (note child, grade level & classroom/teacher) in the memo line.
Updates from Friends of Skinner West (FOSW)
Please save the date for the annual Friends of Skinner West Walkathon. This is the largest fundraiser of the year and all proceeds will go to purchase technology and other needed equipment for the school. The date for this year's Walkathon will be Thursday, September 26th (rain date September 27th). Please contact us as firstname.lastname@example.org
if you would like to volunteer. More information will be sent home during the first week of school.
Friends of Skinner West will host an informational meeting regarding the Walkathon and other volunteer opportunities within our organization. Please join us on Wednesday, September 11th at 9:00am in the cafeteria for a brief meeting regarding ways you can get involved.
Soon we'll be sharing more information about the following:
- Classroom assignments & teacher rosters
- New Pick up/Drop off procedures for the main building
STAR Aftercare Program Registration
Registration is due by August 30th, and the online form needs to be filled out for each child. Students who were in the program last year must be registered for the new school year.
We do accept PayPal, and Cash or Check payments can be made at the school office during summer office hours - Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10-6.
Looking for an Easy Way to Contribute Your Time?
Communications Committee Volunteers Needed
The Communications Committee welcomes any new parent volunteers who want offer their time in helping with website maintenance, newsletter development and more! Volunteering is flexible, minimal, and does not require in-person involvement at the school. Meet new parents and learn more about what Skinner offers: Contact us at email@example.com
There are many worthy committees that need your time and help. Check out the Skinner Website to get more details about the myriad of volunteer opportunities!
All comments, suggestions or requests to submit information to this newsletter should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Volunteers are welcome. Donate your time to help increase communications and contact us!
Would you like to add another parent, guardian or caregiver?
Text SKINNERNEWS to 22828 or click
(Messaging & data rates may apply)
Deborah M. Clark