MARK T. SKINNER WEST SCHOOL NEWSLETTER
2018-2019 School Year
Welcome Newsletter #3
LSC Meeting: Tuesday, 9/18 @ 6pm - Gym
PTO Meeting: Tuesday, 9/18 @ 6pm - Library
Communications Meeting: 9/17 @ 6pm - Library
CPS 2018- 2019 Calendar: here
Pay Your School Fees Now!
New!! School fees will remain the same as 2017/18. Find your grade level fees and pay using the PayPal link (found at the bottom of Skinner's homepage
) or send in a check made out to 'Skinner West Elementary School'
Don't forget to purchase grade level supplies AND Ancillary supplies, Art and Science supplies
Drop off Ancillary supplies in the library of the main building.
2018 19 Classroom Roster
Hot off the press! Please see this year's classroom roster here!
GoCPS High School Application Account Activation Available Now!
For families that will be applying to a CPS high school for the 2019-20 school year, it's time to take the next step in the high school application process and activate your account.
Contact the Office of Access and Enrollment at 773-551-2060 or email@example.com for assistance.
FOSW Walk-a-Thon - Save the Date!
The annual Friends of Skinner West Walkathon will be held September 27th (rain date September 28th). Last year, we raised $55,000 that was used for many, many school purchases such as the 1:1 chromebook inititative, laminating machines, playground toys, Fire tablets, teacher libraries, new Promethean boards and repair as well as many other items.
This year, we will be focusing on raising funds to help outfit the new annex. Our goal is to raise at least $55,000 to help purchase the technology needed for the new classrooms.
Please save the date and consider volunteering for our event as well If you are new to Skinner and would like to get involved in our fundraising, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . More information regarding the Walk-a-thon details and how you can participate will be distributed during the first week of school.
Music House After School Registration Now Open
The flyer for programming for the 2018-19 school year can be found here. Parents are welcome to begin to register online for Violin, Ukulele and Rock Band as well. Scroll down toward the bottom of the page to find Skinner West.
Mad Science After School Registration Now Open
Skinner West is registered for the Amazon Smile program - Skinner receives a portion of the proceeds on eligible purchases!
3. Bookmark this page! Every time you shop at Amazon through the smile.amazon.com website,the top of the page will read: "Supporting: Skinner School Forum."
Skinner West Hours of Operation
- School instructional hours will continue to be 8:45am to 3:45pm M-F
- Early drop-off in the lunchroom is available starting at 8:00am. (Free breakfast is available to all students)
- Fee-based aftercare is available through Skinner STAR program (below) or Skinner Park District.
- School office hours are 8:15am to 4:30pm M-F
Letter from Chief Education Officer, Latanya McDade
Please take a moment to read this letter from CPS CEO, Latanya McDade concerning Skinner's Neighborhood & Classical program. You can access the letter here.
Avoid a Ticket & Keep our Students Safe! Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures - MAIN BUILDING
Due to the ongoing construction of our new annex, there will be no morning drop off or afternoon pick up for our students on Monroe Street. ALL drop off and pick up will take place ONLY on Adams Street.
- Once students enter on Adams Street, they must report directly to the lunchroom or gym. Parents and students cannot go to any teacher's classroom without an appointment, and without stopping by the main office first to get a visitor's pass.
- Kindergarten and First Grade parents will pick their child/children up from the lunchroom at 3:45 P.M.
- 2nd - 5th grade students will be dismissed at 3:45 P.M. Parents please receive your child/children on the Adams Street side of the building.
- 6th - 8th grade students will be dismissed via the back staircase by their teachers, walk along the side of the building near the school's parking lot to Adams Street.
- Due to the lack of space and congestion in the main lobby, we are asking parents to leave all strollers outside the building.
- During dismissal time, please keep the corridors and lobby clear so that students can safely exit the building or get to their after school programs.
- Please do not park in the bus area on Adams Street during drop off and pick up. It makes it extremely difficult for students to safely get on and off buses when cars are parked in the bus area.
- We understand parking is challenging in the West Loop, however, we are asking parents not to park in the staff parking lot, and not to block the drive ways of the West Loop residents. We have been warned that parents who block drive ways will be towed.
Please be patient with our new morning drop off and pick up procedures on Adams Street while we await the completion of our much needed Annex. Thank you kindly for your cooperation.
Drop off & Pick Up Procedures: Kindergarten and 1st Grade Neighborhood - 225 S. Aberdeen
Arrival Procedures: Main Building
- Students may be dropped off as early as 8:15 at the main bldg for breakfast. KDG students will sit in the designated areas for their class. Ms. Hampton, Ms Rivera, or Ms Wensley will be there to supervise
- @8:45-8:50am Students line up to board the shuttle bus
- @8:50am Shuttle to the branch departs; If the child misses the shuttle, it is the parent's responsibility to dropoff at the Branch at the Aberdeen entrance
- OR -
Arrival Procedures: Branch
- @8:40am, dropoff at arrival begins; Students may eat breakfast at the branch. Students must wait in the cafeteria for their teachers and are not allowed in the classroom unless the teacher is present.
Dismissal Procedures - Pick up at Branch OR Main Bldg
- You may pick up your child from the branch by 3:35pm
- @ 3:35pm Students board the shuttle bus to the main building on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. If a parent has not arrived by 3:35pm at the Branch, they MUST pick up at the main bldg
- @3 :45pm, Parent pick up in the cafeteria of the main bldg
- Students reporting the STAR Aftercare or Skinner Park aftercare program will report to designated areas
In cases of early dismissals before 3:35pm, the child must be picked up at the branch
School Bus Information
As in past years, qualified students and parents who have indicated the need for school busing should receive a yellow postcard in the mail the week before school starts. The postcard will include the pertinent information. At this time, we do not have additional bus company information.
If you need more information on student transportation, please visit this page:
Skinner West PTO Needs You!
On the first day of school, enjoy morning refreshments while dropping off your students, compliments of your Skinner West PTO. The PTO supports our school in many ways, including community-building events and fundraising activities. Learn how you can get involved at the first PTO meeting of the year on XXX in the library.
All parents and teachers are welcome. Even if you can't make it, you can support Skinner West at skinnerwestgiving.org
All comments, suggestions or requests to submit information to this newsletter should be emailed to email@example.com
Communications Volunteers are welcome. Donate your time to help increase communications and contact us!
Would you like to add another parent, guardian or caregiver?
Sign up for this newsletter here.
Deborah M. Clark