MARK T. SKINNER WEST SCHOOL
EXCITING EXPANSION NEWS!
Dear Skinner West Families,
We were extremely pleased to see the amazing turnout who attended the special meeting at Skinner West held on July 6th. The energy and passion were evident from our Skinner parents, Superstars and staff.
We were delighted to host our special guests - Mayor Rahm Emanuel, CPS Chief Education Officer, Dr. Janice Jackson, Alderman Walter Burnett and Ms. Felicia Davis, Executive Director, Public Building Commission (PBC). Together, we are pleased to share the long- awaited exciting news:
Skinner West will be receiving an Annex to
Address Expansion Needs for our Skinner Superstars!
The PBC presented a tentative design and plan that supports all of our critical programs, including classical, neighborhood, and diverse learners:
- The proposed new annex will be located on the north side of the existing school
- 15 classrooms are tentatively planned to include: 7 standard classrooms, diverse learner classrooms, pull-out spaces, computer lab, science lab, and art room
- All rooms will be fully accessible to people with disabilities
- The annex would be additive to the 38 classrooms (including 5 at the branch)
- Additional sustainable environmental considerations and hiring priorities of local contractors and MWBE suppliers were also shared
While the finer details are not defined yet, we expect that expansion planning will be carefully considered in many upcoming meetings, conversations and committees. Future LSC meetings will include this topic and we encourage your participation. As always, our focus is clear: to provide the premier educational programming for ALL of our Skinner Superstars, serving as a model for all schools in for the City of Chicago, the State of Illinois and the entire country.
For many years, many of you have been very active in your efforts to identify and support this expansion need and we THANK YOU for your support. We are thrilled to celebrate this news and look forward to beginning phase I of this exciting journey!
Principal Deborah M. Clark
P.S. Our next LSC meeting will be Wednesday, July 13th @ 6pm.
Want to stay informed?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.
Deborah M. Clark