CPS School Calendar 2015-2016
Tuesday, September 8th
8am - 8:45am
First Day of School
8:45am - 3:45pm
Optional Aftercare Programs (Fee-Based)
Star Program After School Program
Skinner Park Program
Save the Dates
Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
Local School Council Meeting
FREE Breakfast and FREE Lunch Menus
Put your child's name on the Skinner Marquee!
Looking for a unique Way to Say "Happy Birthday" to Your Child? Surprise your child with an electronic greeting on the Skinner West marquee for only $25.
In addition, a birthday greeting will be sent to your child via the intercom during morning announcements . All proceeds will help our Skinner 8th graders go to Washington DC.
- Complete the announcement request form - click here
- Enclose $25 cash or check to Skinner West with the form
- Turn the form into Room 320 or 326
- All forms must be turned in at least one week prior to your requested date.
Your child's birthday announcement will run for 24 hours. If your child's birthday falls on a weekend, the announcement will run the Friday before.
What's Happening in the West Loop? Visit the
Did you miss last week's Week-At-A-Glance e-newsletter? Click here
to catch up on a must-read!
Does your Superstar have an accomplishment or honorable mention you would like to submit to the newsletter?
Reply to this email or email us at email@example.com.
Are you supporting Skinner through these NO additional cost fundraisers?
SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL and Share this with Family and Friends!
Box Tops/ Labels for Education
Collect everyday labels from groceries to earn points and funds for our school library
to designate your eScrip accounts to Mark T. Skinner. A percentage of your purchases go to the school. However, you must renew your e-Scrip annually
. Look out for special bonus days too!
1% goes to Skinner on ALL purchases made with Target Card (additional 5% all purchases for you!)
Designate Skinner Classical as your school
Please submit pictures from any Skinner West events (concerts, parties, presentations etc) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We prefer .jpg or .gif files of up to 350kb.
|FOLLOW US ON:|
Would you like to add another parent, guardian or caregiver? Sign up for this newsletter, using this form:
Not Receiving Newsletters?
If you have been missing a weekly newsletter, be sure to check your spam email for any email that comes from SkinnerWest@gmail.com
Welcome to All New and Returning Superstars and Skinner West Families! Please Review Pertinent Information to Be Prepared for the First Day of School!
Welcome Skinner Superstars!
Superstars and Parents:
We're so excited to welcome each and every one of our Superstars and families for another amazing year at Skinner West. Entering my 22nd year as principal at Skinner, I continue to be amazed at the growth and depth our Skinner Superstars demonstrate every day.
We will continue the journey to success only with the amazing support of parents, community, teachers and administration. Each plays such an important part to the success of our students and their future. So, THANK YOU, in advance for your support!
We had an exciting new student and parent orientation this week. We are also welcoming new teachers and staff to provide enriching and challenging learning opportunities for pre-K through eighth graders . I'm looking forward to another great year for our Superstars!
As we enter this first very busy week of school, there is much information to share from our teachers. Also, please make sure you read through all of the materials provided by CPS. If you rely on bus service provided by CPS, please be patient as the bus companies implement new bus routes. Also , please remember to adhere to our drop-off and pick-up procedures and be patient with finding a legal parking spot. Refer to our website www.skinnersuperstars.or
g or stop by our office if you need specific information. You can also contact me at the parent-only email address: email@example.com.
Have a Great First Day of School and a Fantastic School Year !
Extended Maternity Leave for
Fifth grade Classical Teacher, Mrs. Rosenzweig, will be on maternity leave until November. We are in the process of hiring a consistent substitute teacher to fill in for her while she is on leave.
New First Grade Drop-Off & Pick-Up Procedures
ALL first grade students, arriving to school by car, must be dropped off at the Monroe Street entrance. Students arriving before 8:45 a.m. must enter through the Monroe door, and walk directly to the lunchroom.
PM Pick - Up
First grade students will be dismissed from the Monroe Street door. Teachers will walk students out the Monroe Street door for dismissal at 3:45 P.M. To alleviate congestion in the school lobby, parents may wait inside the fenced area on the Monroe Street side. For safety reasons, do not allow your child to play in the fenced in area on the grass.
Skinner West Teacher Roster
2015 - 2016
|2nd Grade||O' Connor||217|
|Spec Ed/Case Mgr||Luna||110|
|Spanish||Sandoval||2nd Fl Ldg.|
|Mandarin||Kong||3rd Fl Ldg.|
|ELL||Baron||2nd Fl Ldg.|
Complete your Student/Parent Database Form
& Optional Volunteer for Room Parent Program
To prepare for pertinent classroom communications, we are collecting email information on behalf of your teachers. Click on the respective database form (one for each student, please!)
If you are unsure of which class your child belongs to, please complete this form instead:
In addition to collecting your contact information, please include your interest in being a ROOM PARENT for your child's class.
School Supply Lists & School Fees
SchoolKidz Orders Have Been Delivered!
- School supply lists can be found here for each grade. Please bring these to your child's classroom
- If you ordered the SchoolKidz orders through the PTO last Spring, they will be delivered to your child's room on the First day of School. Ancillary Supplies were included in the package and are delivered to Ms Ranftl
- Please remember that each student should also donate ancillary and art supplies and dropoff in the library to Ms Ranftl
- School Fees are critical to ensure we have sufficient supplies for each grade. Each is found HERE
- Fees can be paid via cash or check payable to "Skinner West" and dropped off with your teacher. Please label it with your childs name/ grade
Additional Skinner Afterschool Options
to learn more about Mad Science options for your KDG - 6th Grader
- Afterschool classes are available @Skinner Mon & Wed @ 4pm
- Days off School camps are available @ the Mad Science location
Save the Date:
Friends of Skinner West Walkathon!
October 8, 2015 (Thursday)
Please save the date for the annual Friends of Skinner West Walkathon.
This year, the walkathon will be held on Thursday, October 8th.
Our goal is to raise $40,000 for the school. A fun day of walking, biking, bounce houses, popcorn and a DJ are planned. Volunteers are needed.
A Special THANK YOU from Ms. Maatouk!
Dear Wonderful Parents and Friends,
The instruments from Ghana have arrived at Skinner West safe and sound.
Here's the list of handmade instruments that you helped to purchase and ship to school with your donations on Go Fund Me:
Two 12-Key Gyils with 2 sets of mallets for each
Two padded carry bags for the gyils
Two Talking Drums w/sticks
Two carry bags for the talking drums
Two large shekeres
Two Gankogui (double bells)
One Leaf Bell
Two dozen bell and drum sticks
You've not only supported the Skinner West Music Department, but also the individual artisans who make their living with their craft. You have my deepest gratitude!
Room parents are volunteers representing a classroom from K- 8th grade and for ancillary classes: library, art, science and foreign language.
While room parent's primary responsibilities are determined in consultation with each teacher, however, these are general guidelines
- Serve as a resource for classroom parents/act as a liaison between the teacher & parents;
- Reach out to new classroom families & include them on email communications;
- Solicit volunteers & donations for classroom activities
- Answer school-related questions for parents
- Communicate pertinent school/classroom news
If you're interested in being a room parent or co-parent coordinator, please respond to the above designated database form or contact Kavita Rao
Back to top
Dropoff and Pickup Procedures
Please Read to Keep our Students Safe
Drop Off and Pick Up
- Please do not block any driveways in the community area, double-park or block a crosswalk while dropping off or picking up your child.
- In the morning the Monroe Street side is a "kiss & go" (drive up- drop off and drive away) area. Please do not park there - even temporarily. Other parents need to be able to use this area to drop off their children. Find parking in another area if you are going to exit your car for ANY period of time.
- After school, the Monroe Street side is reserved for the bus lane. There is no parking or area to wait for your child.
- Do not park on the Adams Street side directly in front of the school in the mornings. The Adams side is used for school bus drop-off only.
- In the evening, the Adams street side school parking zone is a "pick up & drive away" area. Do not leave your car for extended periods of time. Please find legal parking in other areas if you are going to exit your car for ANY period of time.
- Our parking lot has limited spaces and is for SKINNER STAFF ONLY. Please do not park in the staff lot or block other cars. It is permit parking only! All non-permit cars will be towed
Attention New Skinner Parents!
New Student Checklist
Please review this new parent checklist for a quick list of items to prepare for before the first day of school. Please click HERE
CPS Selects Skinner West's Principal Clark Inaugural Independent School Principal Program
We're proud to have been selected as one of the inaugural independent schools selected as part of the Independent school principal program. CPS will allow experienced, high-performing principals to run their schools with less oversight from Central Office and greater flexibility to innovate. Learn more HERE
2015-2016 Gym Uniform Policy
For PE classes in the 2015-16 school year, please make sure your Superstar is dressed in lightweight, easy to move in clothes (t-shirt, sweatshirt, shorts, sweatpants, ect) with appropriate footwear. Please avoid any open-toed shoe or sandal, flip-flops, crocs, dress shoes, flats, or any shoe with a heel. Additional information will be sent home with your Superstar at the start of the school year.
Are you a new parent with questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and title it, "New Parent Question." Parent volunteers will attempt to help answer your questions. We'll try to get back to you within 48 hours, but your patience is appreciated.
Failure to provide proof can result in exclusion from school. PLEASE keep our kids healthy and comply. Thank You!
CPS is seeking input from parents on how CPS needs to improve and for you to provide suggestions for ways to do better.
Read this letter to parents HERE
Take the brief survey HERE